Wednesday, June 08, 2011

All You Need (to do) Is Love.


I am taking part in the #Trust30 blogging challenge this month! Catching up on the prompts now..

Prompt 1: We are afraid of truth, afraid of fortune, afraid of death, and afraid of each other. Our age yields no great and perfect persons. – Ralph Waldo Emerson
You just discovered you have fifteen minutes to live.
1. Set a timer for fifteen minutes. 2. Write the story that has to be written.





Here goes...
Fifteen minutes to live. Would I be forced into the present –knowing there is no future to plan for, build, work towards? Or would I be forced (in a panic) into the future, into only focusing on the coming death and how to avoid it, and thereby miss being able to use my 15 minutes constructively and live them fully?


For the sake of the argument, let’s assume the first is true. That I have 15 minutes left to live before I die, and I know there’s nothing I can do about it.


I believe I’d spend this time loving the people in my immediate company. Sure, thoughts would enter my head that I should contact my family and loved ones, and tell them I love them dearly and thank them for every kindness and act of love they have shown me. But, I make a habit of telling them this any way… so they already know that. So I would love the people immediately around me. I would do what I could to make a positive impact on someone else’s life in that 15 minutes, or to reduce their suffering. If they will also die in 15 minutes, then I would tell them ‘it’s going to be alright’ and I would mean it with my whole being. I would try to ensure that no one felt alone in the face of death, just as no one should feel alone in the face of life. How I would do this, I don’t know, but I imagine the inspiration would come to me in the moment.


And I’d like to spend the last few moments of my life wrapping someone in a warm, heartfelt hug.

The story that needs to be told

Looking at this question another way – what story would need to be told?
Love is all that matters. Everything we do in our lives either contributes to the negativity of the world or to its positivity. We are born to be loving, creative and free. At their best, our thoughts and actions become the highest expression of the positive inborn energy that gives us life. Life energy is all around us and we are all connected in this to each other. We need to drop our perception that we are all separate from each other, from nature and ultimately, from life. The fear we have of truth, fortune, death and other people stems from our belief that we are separate from these things. Is not living in fear of death a denial of life itself- as death is naturally part of life?

We are here to live the human experience. All of it. And the most powerful energy we can infuse our lives with is love. And when we die, leaving this world and all our possessions and achievements behind, I believe we will look back on our lives and see that it was only our actions carried out with love that mattered.

Labels:

1 Comments:

At 11:10 PM, Anonymous Marlene said...

I love your take on this subject. Isn't it so wonderful that love really is all you need?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home